Mr. Freeman has experience in both federal and state court in a variety of contexts. He has represented clients in professional responsibility matters; legal and medical malpractice cases; partnership disputes, including dissolution and partner relocation; contractual and lease disputes; defamation, product disparagement, and unfair competition cases; antitrust litigation; civil rights litigation; employment disputes involving wrongful discharge and the enforcement of restrictive covenant; and divorce cases. His state court experience covers all levels of the practice from the trial court to the Illinois Supreme Court. He also has experience in bankruptcy court, where he has represented creditors in bankruptcy and adversary proceedings.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Freeman served as a volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps in Togo, West Africa from 1996 to 1998 and worked at Human Rights Watch from 1998 to 2000.
- A.B., Princeton University, cum laude, 1995
Graduated from the Woodrow Wilson School of International and
Awarded a Certificate in Environmental Studies.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, cum laude, 2003
Admitted to the Order of the Coif.
Received the Lowden-Wigmore Prize.
Member of the Journal of International Law and Business.
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Admitted to the Illinois Bar in 2003.
- Admitted to the Northern District of Illinois Bar in 2004.
- Served as law clerk to the Hon. Ruben Castillo, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois from 2003 to 2005.
- Practiced as an associate with this firm, 2005-2011, elevated to partner in 2012.
- The Case-within-the-Case in Litigation Malpractice, Chicago Bar Association Record, November 2012.
- The Trial Within the Trial: Unique Evidentiary and Procedural Issues, November 2011, Presentation to Chicago Bar Association Committee on Attorney Malpractice.
- Lawyer Mobility in an Uncertain Market, Chicago Bar Association Record, September 2009.
- Represented attorneys and law firms against legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claims in cases involving both litigation and transactional malpractice.
- Represented attorneys and law firms in matters involving partner expulsion, including breach of contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, partner relocation, partnership dissolution, and accounting issues.
- Represented business partner in action seeking partnership dissolution and accounting.
- Represented prescription-benefit-management company in arbitration addressing complex breach of contract claims.
- Represented national satellite telecommunications company in unfair competition and cable piracy actions in both federal and state court.
- Represented several not-for-profit entities affiliated with health care facilities in medical malpractice claims.
- Represented commercial landlord in reformation and breach of contract action.
- Represented business in defamation and commercial disparagement action against competitor.
- Represented commercial entity in construction litigation.
- Represented individuals in high-net-worth divorce proceedings.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Illinois State Bar Association