Ms. Klotnia has litigated many complex commercial and legal malpractice cases and is well known for her command of legal ethics. She has represented clients in cases involving legal malpractice defense, attorney disciplinary matters, corporate and partnership disputes, derivative actions and shareholder disputes, RICO litigation, contract disputes, commercial mortgage foreclosure, environmental law, constitutional law and federal civil rights.
Ms. Klotnia has been involved in cases in the United States District Courts in Illinois, Hawaii, Kansas and Pennsylvania and in the state courts of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Delaware and has participated in appeals to the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and for the Third Circuit, and to the Illinois Appellate Court and the Wisconsin Appellate Court.
- B.S., University of Illinois, Business Administration, 1984.
Graduated with highest honors
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1987.
Graduated with highest honors
Order of the Coif
Managing and Book Review editor of the University of Chicago
- Practiced as an associate with the law firm of Shea & Gardner in Washington, D.C., 1987-1988.
- Admitted to the Illinois Bar, 1989.
- Admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar, 1988.
- Served as law clerk to the Hon. Max Rosenn, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1988-1989.
- Practiced as an associate with this firm, 1989-1994.
- Elevated to partner, 1995.
- Member, ISBA Standing Committee on Professional Conduct, 2012-present.
- Member, ISBA Special Committee on Judicial Disqualification Standards, 2012
- Chair, Professional Responsibility Committee, Chicago Bar Association, 2009-10.
- Vice-Chair, Professional Responsibility Committee, Chicago Bar Association, 2008-09.
- Co-Chair, Joint Task Force of the CBA, ISBA and IJA on Limited Scope Of Representation, 2010 -11.
- Served as member of adjunct faculty of Trial Advocacy at Northwestern University School of Law, 2009 to October 2011.
- Served as member of adjunct faculty of Professional Responsibility at Northwestern University School of Law, October 2011 to the present.
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Represented several large law firms in separate, unrelated lawsuits involving claims of legal malpractice. The underlying matters that gave rise to the claims involved complex commercial transactions, patent litigation, and commercial litigation.
- Appointed Special Master by United States District Court to review and provide recommendations on privilege and work product claims in connection with an SEC lawsuit.
- Represented hospital system in federal class action by registered nurses alleging antitrust violations, and led defense group of six law firms in successful presentation of complex econometric issues to the Court.
- Represented a manufacturer of railroad tracks and wheels in connection with its claims under an environmental indemnity arising out of the manufacturers purchase of several facilities.
- Represented a clothing manufacturer against anti-trust claims asserted by a retailer.
- Represented a trustee and corporate officer in several related lawsuits involving shareholder derivative claims and claims of breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Represented two closely-held corporations in connection with claims by one of the shareholders that he had been frozen out by the other shareholder.
- Represented the seller of manufacturing facilities in arbitration held in connection with post-closing disputes, including claims arising out of an environmental indemnity.
- Represented an international power manufacturing corporation in connection with disputes between the corporation and its joint venture partners arising out of their development and operation of a power co-generation facility in Hawaii.
- Represented a minor in child abuse and neglect proceedings in Cook County. The Illinois appellate court resolved in favor of the minor the novel issue of whether a minor is entitled to counsel of her own choice in such proceedings, in lieu of the public guardian.
- Represented, along with the Roger Baldwin Foundation, a physician who wished to exercise his first amendment rights and demonstrate at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in an area other than the area designated by the City and the DNCC. Following an evidentiary hearing, the trial court ruled in favor of the client and other demonstrators.
- Why Do Environmental Lawyers Get Sued For Malpractice? What Can They Do To Avoid A Malpractice Claim? Bloomberg BNA, 2013. Written with Michael L. Shakman and Edward W. Feldman.
- A Primer on Legal Malpractice for Patent Lawyers, BNAs Patent, Trademark and Copyright Journal, 85 PTJC 111, Nov. 23, 2012. Written with Michael L. Shakman and Edward W. Feldman.
- Mediation of Business Disputes, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Illinois Institute for CLE, 2001. Written with Michael L. Shakman and Edward W. Feldman.
- Trust Us: How Rules on Referral Fees Influence the MDP Debate, Chicago Bar Association Record, September 2000. Written with Michael L. Shakman.
- Conflict of Interest Considerations When a Lawyer Changes Law Firms, Webinar for the Illinois Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission, 2011.
- A Primer On Legal Malpractice And Professional Responsibility: Managing Risk in the Patent Arena, Midwest Intellectual Property Summit for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, November 15, 2013.
- Contacting and communicating with putative class members in the pre-certification phase of class actions lawsuits -- ethical considerations under the Rules of Professional Conduct and a recent ABA formal ethics opinion, Professional Responsibility Committee, Chicago Bar Association, 2007.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Board member and officer of Healthcare Foundation of Northern
Lake County, 2006-present.
- Alternate Board member of the Chicago Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, 2006-2012.
- ACLU of Illinois Board member (1999-present) and Executive Committee (2001-present); as a board member, developed a weekly call-in program on cable television called You Have the Right.
- Board member of the University of Illinois College of Business Alumni Association, 2002-2012.