Mr. Oesterle has more than 35 years of litigation experience in a wide-range of complex commercial matters including bankruptcy, breach of contract, class action, construction, employment, environmental, fiduciary duty, franchise, fraud, higher education, insurance coverage, legal malpractice, lender liability, patent, real estate, theft of trade secret and other matters in both federal and state trial and appellate courts, and in arbitration and mediation proceedings throughout the country.
- B.S., University of Michigan, Chemistry, 1970.
Graduated with distinction
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1973.
Graduated cum laude
Member and Staff Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
- Admitted to the Illinois Bar, 1973.
- Practiced as associate and partner in the Chicago office of Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP, 1973-2007.
- Served as adjunct professor of Trial Advocacy at Northwestern University School of Law, 1987.
- Defended a claim by a foreign airline for breach of fiduciary duty regarding a partnership formed to obtain a concessions contract at an OHare Airport terminal.
- Handled a wide range of construction related matters for projects such as the Sunshine Skyway Bridge Project (over Tampa Bay), the Deep Tunnel Project (Chicago), the OHare Water Reclamation Plant (Illinois), an IBM Plant (located in Rochester, MN), and the renovation of the Chicago Hilton and Towers.
- Represented licensor in arbitration proceedings relating to the termination of a Middle Eastern licensee.
- Defended a franchisor against fraud, breach of contract and Franchise Act claims.
- Represented a creditors committee in numerous adversary proceedings before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and on appeal to the U.S. District Court and Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended on appeal a federal trial court victory in a qui tam claim for alleged fraudulent billing to a VA Hospital.
- Brought an appeal of behalf of a university to reverse a $1,000,000 judgment against it in favor of two former professors for alleged wrongful termination.
- Brought and defended theft of trade secret claims regarding edible and inedible plastic films, and band casting equipment.
- Defended an environmental rights NGO in a defamation claim brought against it by a chemical manufacturer in India.
- Defended a claim by a former clinical professor against a university for fraud and breach of an employment agreement.
- Handled numerous foreclosures, breach of lease, restrictive covenant, lender liability, eminent domain, and breach of real estate partnership agreement cases.
- Represented an Ethiopian couple seeking asylum in the United States.
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Chicago Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2006-present
- University of Michigan Honors Program Advisory Council, 1996-2001
- University of Michigan Law School, Campaign Steering Comm., 2001-2008; and Legal Development Comm., 2008-present
- Leading Lawyers Network, commercial litigation, 2005-2010