Mr. Feldman has over thirty-four years’ experience as a litigator. Following a clerkship in the U.S. District Court, Mr. Feldman spent two years trying criminal and civil cases at Northwestern University Legal Clinic. Since joining this firm in 1988, he has developed an extensive commercial litigation practice cutting across many areas of law, in both individual and class actions in federal and state courts. His areas of concentration include representing lawyers and law firms in legal malpractice, professional responsibility, and fiduciary duty matters. He also has represented many businesses and individuals in disputes with government over constitutional, statutory or regulatory rights. This governmental litigation has included two landmark cases that have transformed Chicago: the Shakman class action against the State of Illinois, Cook County, City of Chicago, and other governmental bodies that has reduced once-endemic political patronage; and the Gautreaux desegregation class action against the Chicago Housing Authority, in which Mr. Feldman represented the Court-appointed receiver responsible for developing new, economically and racially desegregated public housing.
Mr. Feldman has been appointed as a Special Master in federal court and been retained as an expert on matters of professional responsibility. His experience also includes RICO, antitrust, securities, consumer fraud, employment and other commercial disputes. Mr. Feldman has been selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list every year since its inception in 2005, and has taught trial practice and professional responsibility for many years at Northwestern Law School. In 2011, Senator Richard Durbin recommended Mr. Feldman to the White House for nomination to the U.S. District Court in Chicago. In 2018, Mr. Feldman was appointed by Senators Durbin and Duckworth to serve on the Selection Committee for Judicial Appointments in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Won $18.8 million for a media company in a jury trial for trademark and contractual violations, obtained affirmance on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal and affirmance in Seventh Circuit of a $600 million RICO action brought against a large national law firm.
- Obtained dismissal of a federal lawsuit against a lawyer seeking $25 million for allegedly conspiring with a public official to deny due process to a litigant.
- Obtained dismissal in bankruptcy court of claims against law firm for aiding and abetting alleged fraudulent conveyance by the debtor.
- Represented taxi industry in litigation concerning unfair competition by “ridesharing” companies.
- Represented several large national law firms in legal malpractice cases alleging negligence in handling of complex transactional or litigation matters.
- Appointed Special Master by U. S. District Court to recommend an attorneys’ fee award in a multi-district class action and to investigate possible ethical violations by counsel in the case.
- Represented attorneys in federal court proceedings in which the attorneys were accused of several ethical violations and in which sanctions were sought.
- Represented hospital system in federal class action by registered nurses alleging antitrust violations, and led defense group of six law firms in successful presentation of complex econometric issues to the Court.
- Represented hospital systems in federal and state class actions by uninsured patients alleging price discrimination and consumer fraud.
- Represented health care system in state class action alleging consumer fraud in connection with collecting nursing home bills.
- Represented corporate parent of hospital system in several medical malpractice cases where plaintiffs attempt to hold parent liable for alleged malpractice of the treating hospital.
- Represented medical record copying service in class action alleging consumer fraud regarding charges.
- Represented developer in multifaceted proceedings in federal court, bankruptcy court and state court regarding corporate governance, constitutional and code compliance issues.
- Represented real estate agent in alleged multi-million dollar federal housing discrimination suit.
- Represented a multinational turbine manufacturer in a suit for property damage resulting from a turbine explosion.
- Represented a national financial services company and six other financial institutions in a federal claim of securities fraud against a large investment bank.
- Represented a real estate developer in a securities fraud action in federal court brought by limited partners.
- Represented a real estate developer serving as receiver for the public housing authority in a desegregation case. Representation involves litigation and transactions concerning the redevelopment of public housing in Chicago.
- Represented municipality in complex land use and annexation dispute.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in several defamation cases.
- B.A., University of Illinois, English, 1979.
Graduated summa cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
High distinction in English
- B.S., University of Illinois, Physics, 1980.
Graduated summa cum laude
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1984.Graduated magna cum laude
- Admitted to the Illinois Bar, 1984.
Served as law clerk to the Hon. Marvin E. Aspen, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1984-1986.
- Clinical fellow at Northwestern University Legal Clinic, 1986-1988, litigating civil rights and criminal matters and supervising law students.
- Associate with this firm, 1988-1991; became a partner in 1992.
- Member of Board of Directors of Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter, 2018 to present.
- Chair, Professional Responsibility Committee, Chicago Bar Association, 2008-2009.
- Rules Advisory Committee of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2000 to present.
- Civil Justice Reform Act Advisory Committee of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Adjunct faculty of Trial Advocacy at Northwestern University School of Law, 1988-2002.
- Adjunct faculty of Professional Responsibility at Northwestern University School of Law, 2003 to present.
- Faculty member for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Midwest Region.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Member, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee of Beth Emet, The Free Synagogue, in Evanston, 2000-2003, 2004-2007.
- Member, Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Chicago Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law (Chair, 2010)
- “Why Do Environmental Lawyers Get Sued For Malpractice? What Can They Do To Avoid A Malpractice Claim?” Bloomberg BNA, 2013. Written with Michael L. Shakman and Diane F. Klotnia.
- “A Primer on Legal Malpractice for Patent Lawyers,” Bloomberg BNA – Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, November 2012. Written with Michael L. Shakman and Diane F. Klotnia.
- “Be Careful What You Reveal: Model Rule of Professional Conduct 1.6,” Litigation, Summer/Fall 2012.
- “There But for the Grace of God Go I; A Look at the Modern Transactional Legal Malpractice Case…,” Chicago Bar Association Record, April 2004. Written with Michael L. Shakman and Stephen J. Bisgeier.
- “Essential Elements for an Operating Agreement for a Law Firm Organized as an LLC,” Chicago Bar Association Record, April 2002.
- “Mediation of Business Disputes,” Alternative Dispute Resolution, Illinois Institute for CLE, 2001. Written with Michael L. Shakman and Diane F. Klotnia.