Mr. Freeman has experience in both federal and state court in a variety of contexts. He has represented clients in professional responsibility matters, legal and medical malpractice cases, partnership disputes, including dissolution and partner relocation. Mr. Freeman also has experience in family law matters, contract and lease disputes, defamation, product disparagement, and unfair competition cases, antitrust litigation, civil rights litigation, and employment disputes involving wrongful discharge and the enforcement of restrictive covenants. His state court experience covers all levels of the practice from the trial court to the Illinois Supreme Court. Prior to joining Miller Shakman & Beem, Mr. Freeman clerked for the Hon. Ruben Castillo in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Freeman served as a volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps in Togo, West Africa from 1996 to 1998 and worked at Human Rights Watch from 1998 to 2000.
- Represented attorneys and law firms in legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty cases involving both litigation and transactional malpractice.
- Represented attorneys and law firms in matters involving partner expulsion, including breach of contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, partner relocation, partnership dissolution, and accounting issues.
- Represented individuals in pre- and post-decree divorce proceedings, including high net worth individuals with complex estate plans and financial assets.
- Represented employees and employers in employment disputes, including separation agreements, discrimination claims, and the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Represented national pharmacy benefits manager in arbitration addressing complex breach of contract claims.
- Represented several not-for-profit entities affiliated with health care facilities in medical malpractice claims.
- Represented national telecommunications company in unfair competition and cable piracy actions in federal and state court.
- Represented commercial landlord in reformation and breach of contract action.
- Represented business in defamation and commercial disparagement action.
- A.B., Princeton University, 1995.
Graduated cum laude
Woodrow Wilson School of International and Public Affairs
Certificate in Environmental Studies
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2003.
Graduated cum laude
Order of the Coif
Member of the Journal of International Law and Business
- Admitted to the Illinois bar, 2003.
- Law clerk to the Hon. Ruben Castillo, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2003-2005.
- Associate with this firm, 2005-2011; became a partner in 2012.
- Admitted to the bar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
- “The Res Judicata Defense to Legal Malpractice Claims,” Illinois Bar Journal, February 2014.
- “The Case-within-the-Case in Litigation Malpractice,” Chicago Bar Association Record, November 2012.
- “Lawyer Mobility in an Uncertain Market,” Chicago Bar Association Record, September 2009.